10 Facts About Family Caregivers
1. There are between 18 - 25 million family caregivers in the United States. That�s about 10% of the adult population.
2. Family caregivers provide 2/3 of all of the home care services in this country.
3. The market value of the services that family caregivers provide is over $190 billion a year.
4. 80% of all family caregivers are women.
5. 70% of family caregivers are between 40 - 59 years of age.
6. 65% of caregivers don�t get any help from family or friends.
7. 69% of caregivers say that frustration is their most frequently felt emotion.
8. Caregivers rate loss of leisure, the change in family dynamics, and feelings of isolation as the most burdensome aspect of family caregiving.
9. Virtually 1/2 of all family caregivers say they have suffered from prolonged depression.
10. More people enter nursing homes because of caregiver burnout, rather than because of a worsening of their condition.
Many of these statistics are drawn from a Caregiver Member Survey conducted by the
National Family Caregivers Association
10400 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 500
Kensington, MD 20895
Web site: www.nfcacares.org
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Created and maintained by Renette Davis. Send comments to Renette by clicking here.
Created: Nov. 23, 1996
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2010